Staying Motivated? 30 Tips To Insure Your Success!
January 14, 2018
Staying motivated can be tough under the best circumstances. So what happens to your healthy eating and exercise goals when the chips are down? Often, they get pushed aside and bad habits sneak back into the daily routine. You’re not alone, it happens to the best of the best! But it doesn’t have to be that way. My friend Paul writes “I don’t understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate.” This very thing I have struggled with in one area or another, on this journey I call “Life”. Then I pick myself back up off the floor and press on. In areas of fitness and healthy eating I started paying attention to others and wrote down responses when asking friends and clients, “How do you stay motivated to reach your goals?” Read their tips and use them to stay on track the next time you need a pick me up!
Look at How Far You’ve Come
Get Inspired by Others
- “I think of how far I’ve come—I’ve lost 40lbs., and how I feel now, which is awesome!” —Pat O.
- “My motivation is knowing I’ve come too far to quit now.” —Jacki F.
- “Taking pictures every 30 days really helps. If you have been working out and tracking your calories, you may not see the scale move much, which is frustrating. But if you look at your photos every 30 days, you will see a leaner body and inches lost!” —Anne D.
- “I wear two ankle bracelets. One shows how many inches my waist was when I started, and one shows where I want to be. Whenever I lack motivation, I take them off and compare them to where I am now.” —Elizabeth A.
- “Looking at how happy and comfortable I looked in old pictures before I put the weight on. Looking at pictures since I put the weight on—my smile looks forced and my clothes look uncomfortable when I dress up. A healthier me is a happier me!” —Marta B.
- “I surround myself with motivated people with similar goals!” —Sue F.
- “Weekly check-in on Zoom calls, sharing success stories and seeing my family making healthier choices because of it...Indescribable” —Stan A.
- “I have my bad days, but just seeing other peoples progress and succeed keeps me going.” —Donna F.
- “I just picture all the jerks who called me fat or made fun of me while growing up and that pushes me even harder to prove that I CAN DO IT! I am Worthy!” —Jacki F.
- “Helping others meet their goals motivates me to push myself harder towards my own.” —Richard F.
Lean on Friends and Family
Get Excited about New Clothes
- “I look at my children. They deserve a healthy mom.” —Brenda B.
- “Doing this with my wife, Valerie. She’s a hottie!” —David L.
- “I have a nice bet going with a friend.” —Billie J. P.
- “Set small goals, set targets and rewards for both small and large goals, and post on Facebook for support from friends and family.” —Lisa N.
- “My husband/cheerleader/weight loss partner. I wouldn’t have been able to lose over 100 pounds without him!” —Laura S.
Journaling - Fitbit - Rely on MyFitnessPal
- “I love looking at clothes on Pinterest to keep me motivated.”—Sarah Marie B.
- “New workout clothes and shoes—it’s worked for over 3 years now!” —Kelly E. S.
- “I buy a pair of pants or a shirt that is a couple of sizes too small.” —Roberto M.
- “I bought a dress to wear for a special event this summer. It fits okay, but I want to look amazing in it!” —Freddie Z.
- “My closet full of cute clothes that I haven’t been able to wear since getting pregnant and having a baby. I WILL be back in those clothes!” —Rachael O.
- Keeping track of my choices, helps me see why I had a good/bad week so it's easier to pinpoint tweaking.”—Tammy M.
- “When your wrist starts vibrating you telling you to ‘Move It’ or celebrates your goal of 10,000 steps”—Kait R.
- “Every time I click the link at the end of the day and it tells me how much I would be in 5 weeks if I continued to have the same progress—that keeps me encouraged.” —Doug C.
- “Loving the little messages on the [android] app now! Feel a little thrill every time it tells me I’ve made a good choice!” —Katherine E.
- “My food diary on MyFitnessPal is the only thing that has ever worked to keep me from gaining weight.” —Gina H. R.
Did I miss anything? What helps you stay motivated? Send me an email, I’m always looking for new ideas to share. Chase Your Dreams!
- “I register for mud runs and obstacle course events.” —Karie M.
- “Exercise before breakfast. There’s nothing better than seeing that you can(but don’t necessarily have to)eat more calories than you started the day with!” —Joanne J.
- “My wonderful daughter encouraging me and entering us in 5Ks keeps us motivated.” —Angela S. P.
- “Sometimes, the only thing getting me out the door for a run is if I’m already in my workout clothes. Everyday, I wake up(If I didn’t sleep in them)put on my pants, sports bra, shirt, and tennis shoes. Just putting on the clothes makes me think, ‘Well, I’m already dressed, might as well go for it.’” —Jeanne I.
- “I make plans with a buddy to go exercising first thing every morning so I won’t talk myself out of it. I go as early as 5:00 am everyday, except Sunday.” —Pam C.
Recommendation :Oh how this has helped me tremendously